Licensed • Bonded • Insured

Licensed • Bonded • Insured

Insurance Preferred Damage Restoration • Eco-Friendly Solutions

Common Causes of Kitchen Mold

Kitchen mold is caused by rotten food and rising humidity levels; if you notice mold in your kitchen, call an eco mold removal professional for help.
Kitchen mold is caused by rotten food and rising humidity levels; if you notice mold in your kitchen, call an eco mold removal professional for help.
Photo by Jason Briscoe on Unsplash

We use our kitchens all the time. Unfortunately, kitchens fall victim to mold for a variety of reasons. If you recently noticed mold growing in your kitchen, it’s time to look into an eco mold removal company for help. 

Here are the most common causes of kitchen mold and some steps you can take to prevent it: 

Spoiled Food

Spoiled, rotten food is a common cause of kitchen mold. Unfortunately, it’s easy to forget about your fruits and veggies lying in your crisper until they’ve already spoiled. Even though your fridge has a cool temperature, mold can still grow if food is left in there too long past the expiration date. 

Clogged Garbage Disposal 

Speaking of food, a clogged or broken garbage disposal is another common cause of mold growth in kitchens. If your garbage disposal isn’t clean or isn’t working properly, the soggy food can sit for too long and develop mold. Fortunately, you can prevent this by pouring 3-4 cups of vinegar down the drain once a week.

Water Leak

In a lot of cases, where there’s a water leak, mold is soon to follow. Many items in your kitchen may overflow or leak, including your refrigerator, sink, and dishwasher. Many apartment complexes have a washer and dryer in the kitchen, so add that to the list of possible sources of water leaks, as well. 

You might not catch these leaks right away, especially if you’re out of the house or in a different room. Sometimes, a pipe may burst or start to drip water due to corrosion or defective washers, gaskets, or O-rings. 

If you notice a water leak in your kitchen, soak up the excess water as soon as possible and turn on either the air conditioning or a fan to dry it out. If water is left untreated, mold can develop in as little as 24 hours.

Increased Dampness and Humidity Levels 

Your kitchen experiences a lot of dampness and humidity. Kitchen counters can get damp after washing and drying the dishes. Humidity levels can rise when you cook or run the dishwasher. Mold thrives in dark and humid environments, so when dampness on your counters, windowsill, or floor mixes with rising humidity levels, mold can easily develop. 

If you do plan on cooking while running the dishwasher, be sure to have a fan plugged in to combat the rising humidity levels. This can help prevent mold. 

Dirty Cutting Boards

Mold can grow on cutting boards if they’re not cleaned properly. Next time you use your cutting board, be sure you’re taking the time to rinse it off and run it through the dishwasher. You can even use vinegar to help kill off any remaining bacteria. 

Call the Pros at Green Genie Environmental to Remove Mold From Your Kitchen 

The kitchen is where you store, prepare, and eat your food, so it makes sense that you wouldn’t want any harmful chemicals being used to treat and remove mold. At Green Genie Environmental, we only use eco-friendly methods of mold removal. Contact us today at (716) 466-6653 for your eco mold removal needs. 

Share This Post!